Asphalt Maintenance: Golf Courses Choose Asphalt Kingdom
When it comes to asphalt maintenance, golf course owners and facility managers know that smooth, dark, and glossy cart paths make their property stand out from the rest. A well-maintained property makes members and guests think they are on an elite course.
Protecting the miles and miles of paths is a big job — and an important one. If you don't fill cracks and sealcoat regularly, you could be looking at a costly asphalt replacement bill in the future.
We've worked with dozens of golf course maintenance managers just like you to get solutions that produce the best results, all while saving you money.
Read our case studies below, and then contact us to see how we can help you with your asphalt maintenance.
Rich Harvest Farms Golf Course
Roger Smith is the maintenance manager at Rich Harvest Farms Golf in Sugar Grove, Illinois, a beautiful golf course ranked in Golf Digest’s prestigious Top 100 list.
Rich Harvest Farms decided to bring asphalt maintenance in-house last year after having trouble finding a reputable contractor to do the work for them. Although they were able to find one contractor, the quote that came in was astronomically high.
Roger then decided to go online to learn about sealcoating, and he came across Asphalt Kingdom’s website. He quickly realized that with his crew of four, he had everything he needed to do the job himself.
The Asphalt Kingdom Solution
Roger found Asphalt Kingdom’s website easy to read and understand. He took advantage of the free asphalt maintenance courses for property owners, and once he had read through how to do the work, he picked up the phone and made a call to the Asphalt Kingdom toll-free helpline.
Asphalt Kingdom not only provided equipment recommendations and a same-day quote, they also insisted that Roger call with any questions he may have while he was doing the work.
In spite of having zero experience, Asphalt Kingdom's personalized and friendly support convinced him to take the plunge and order the products and equipment to do the job in-house.
When he ran into a challenge edging the cart paths without getting overspray onto the course, he picked up the phone and called Asphalt Kingdom, and immediately got instructions on how to do the job right.
Once all the cart paths are done, the crew will be tackling the parking areas and will need to repaint parking lot lines. Roger knows he’ll be returning to Asphalt Kingdom for his line striping equipment and supplies.
“The job was so much easier than we expected and we’re confident that the line striping will be as well, with Asphalt Kingdom’s excellent website guides and phone support.” - Roger Smith
Equipment used by Rich Harvest Farms Golf:
Weddington Golf & Tennis Success Story
George MacAllister has a golf and tennis club built right in the heart of Studio City, California. With 16 tennis courts, a 24-stall driving range, and a 9-hole golf course, the facility naturally has a large parking lot. The frequent rain in the area is hard on asphalt, and when George called a contract service in to look at the lot, the costs were high.
The economy is tough right now, and saving money on maintenance goes a long way. George needed to seal cracks in the asphalt to prevent further decay in his parking lot, and save the company the huge expense of repaving.
The Asphalt Kingdom Solution
George came across Asphalt Kingdom’s website and enrolled in the free online courses to see how much work was involved in doing the work himself. After watching the videos, he realized his in-house crew could easily do the work themselves to save the parking area and lessen the expense of asphalt maintenance.
After doing some math, George realized that for the cost of having a contractor come in and sealcoat the lot, he could purchase a crack fill machine and an asphalt spray unit. He could also get both parts of asphalt maintenance completed at a fraction of the cost.
The work was much easier than he had expected.
The RY10 “saved our asphalt parking lot’s life,” says George.
The crack filling alone made him believe that the golf course would not have to invest in a complete and costly overhaul of the parking lot.
“You get it right the first time or you lose my business,” says George. “In today’s online world of millions of websites, you basically have a 50/50 chance of things messing up or being late.”
His seamless order with Asphalt Kingdom already has him coming back for more crack filler to do other areas around his property.
Equipment used by Weddington Golf Course:
Golf Course Pavement Maintenance
Fresh pavement sealcoating on golf cart paths and parking areas makes the entire golf club look as manicured as your greens. You already know that replacing divots protects against further damage of the course, but do you lavish the same care and attention to the paved sections of the property? Sealing blacktop is just as important as turf care, and the good news is you only need to do it bi-yearly!
The Three L’s Of Blacktop Maintenance
- Looks. Appearance is everything, especially for golf courses. Don’t let your parking area and cart paths look run-down and like an afterthought.
- Lifespan. Proper asphalt care will protect the foundation from erosion, and can extend the life of the blacktop from 10 years to almost 30 years before needing replacement.
- Liability. Safety should always be your first priority, and blacktop maintenance will prevent potholes and cracks from forming on your pavement. You don’t want tripping hazards at your golf course where someone could fall and get hurt. Customers and employees will be far safer with well-maintained driveways, parking lots, and paths.
Why Is Sealcoating So Effective in Preserving Your Pavement?
Asphalt is an amazing hardtop surface: flexible, durable, and resilient. That’s why it’s used so universally. The thing is, just as metal rusts, asphalt oxidizes, becomes brittle, and less water-repellent.
Sealing blacktop every two years renews the surface, and brings back all its protective qualities. Now you have an effective coating that resists water, fuel spills, beverages falling out of golf carts, and more.
How Difficult Is Sealing Blacktop?
Compared to turf care? Blacktop maintenance is so much easier! Here’s what you need to do in 5 simple steps:
- Clean the surface. Sweep, scrub, and remove any stubborn stains with a degreaser cleaner.
- Fill the asphalt cracks. Otherwise you will be leaving a gap in your protection for water to get in and erode the foundation. Not to mention the safety hazard.
- Pavement sealcoating compound application can be done as simply as applying with a squeegee or broom, but for the size of a golf course property it’s well worth investing in a spray system.
- Allow to dry and cure. Here’s where buying a sealant like ours that dries in 3 to 4 hours instead of 1 or 2 days is a cost and time-effective choice. Tip: Add Superdryer if applying at night for superior results.
- Sealing blacktop with a second coat if necessary. Two thin layers are the only way to go when pavement sealcoating has been neglected for a while. A single thick layer will never cure properly and you’ll end up with it flaking and peeling!
What’s Needed For Blacktop Maintenance?
Here’s a checklist for what you’ll need for pavement sealcoating:
- Driveway Sealer (get airport grade like ours for best quality).
- Spray system to apply the sealant (unless the area is small enough that you can manage it by using a broom or a squeegee).
- Pylons and rolls of caution tape for keeping traffic off your pavement while it cures.
- Gas blower to clear the surface of all debris like leaves and dirt.
- Crack filler for crack repair.
- Degreaser cleaner to remove all fuel stains before sealing blacktop. This is something you must have or the sealant won’t adhere properly and will peel.
Contact us and we'll be happy to help you get the right amounts and tools to maintain your golf course.
When is the Best Time for Sealing Blacktop?
As long as the temperatures are staying above 60°F, you’re good to go. Obviously, this part of blacktop maintenance can’t be done in winter. But other than that you can schedule it for the least disruptive time for your golfers.
Now you know how to keep your cart paths and parking areas looking as fantastic as your golf course. Do it for looks, lifespan, and safety.
Sealing blacktop every other year is the most effective way to keep the surface resilient and strong against the elements and wear. Simply clean, crack fill, apply, and dry. Repeat with a second coat if necessary. Check that you have the equipment you need, and the forecast is warm enough, and you’re all set to do your own pavement sealcoating.
Here are several links that may help you protect and maintain the asphalt on your property:
- Equipment for asphalt maintenance golf courses
- Crack filler and asphalt sealer supplies
- AK10 Melter Applicator and Crack Fill Package
- Free asphalt maintenance courses
- Free asphalt videos
LET US PROVIDE YOU WITH THE SOLUTION,
GREAT SERVICE AND GUARANTEED SAVINGS.
The Step-By-Step Asphalt Maintenance Program is 1 Click Away!
Enter your contact details below and we'll be in touch with you soon!